Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Bachelorette - What We Can Learn

This week's episode might be a turning point in the Bachelor/Bachelorette series. In the future we might remember this week as the week the show turned chaste.  I give props to Emily for denying all the men the chance to "spend more time" with her so they could "talk" together throughout the night.  Let's recap this week's episode and see what the Bachelorette can teach us about life and relationships.

Sean
I really feel for Sean this week, and that's not just because he was my favorite.  For how good a guy he was, I'm surprised at how few people share my love for him. Sean may not have been as charismatic as Jef or as smooth as Arie, but I still stand by my opinion that he was the best man of them all.  I'll admit that he was occasionally awkward and it felt somewhat unnatural when he tried to express his feelings, but I don't believe that was a result of him not being genuine.  I believe Sean is extremely authentic and is a man of no guile.  I believe his claims that what you see with him is what you get.  Unfortunately he just wasn't as charming and suave as the others.  

I believe that before Emily came along, Sean had never fully given his heart to someone.  He hasn't been in many relationships, and although he dated a girl for three years, it sounded like she was much more invested than he was - he loved her but he was not in love, as he said.  Sean has always been the one in the driver's seat.  Has he ever put himself at risk in a relationship?  Has he ever devoted himself to someone without any guarantee of being loved back?  Until Emily, I would answer no to both questions.  This was Sean's first experience of becoming vulnerable enough to give himself completely to someone and what happened?  His heart was broken.  Therein lies the risk that accompanies vulnerability and real commitment.  Sean put himself in a place where he could be hurt because of how much he had invested in Emily.  But at the same time, he also put himself in a place where he could feel more joy than he ever had before.  When we make the decision to totally commit ourselves to someone, we open ourselves up and are able to feel deeper and more real emotions.  But until we make that decision to go all in, the happiness we can feel in our relationship is limited.  Sean's first experience with true vulnerability in a relationship brought him great joy, but also left him devastated.  So what will he do now?  Will he become ever more closed off than before because of how much he was hurt?  Here's to hoping that through this experience, Sean has learned that the only way to experience real emotion in a relationship is by truly investing yourself, even if it does leave you susceptible to heartbreak.  And here's to hoping that he'll be able to make that kind of commitment again.

Arie
For everyone's viewing pleasure, I present once again Arie with long hair. I can't stop posting this picture because no one has ever looked so stupid.  Arie was one of my favorites early on, but I have lost my love for him.  I don't see enough from Arie, and like I've said before, all he and Emily do is make out.  I believe a total of seven words were spoken between them before they were on the deck of the yacht going at it.  That's all they do and Emily knows it.  That's why she had to ask what it is Arie does on a typical day.  Can you believe that they're on their second-to-last date before engagement and Emily doesn't even know what Arie does in his everyday life!?  Only on the Bachelorette could this happen. Furthermore, I can't picture them together on a day-to-day basis going through the mundane tasks of life.  It's difficult to see them hanging around the house with Ricki living the boring married life.  

If Emily is just now finding out about what Arie does and who he is, why has she kept him around so long?  Because she loves kissing him and he's attractive (now that his hair is short).  That's not much of a foundation for a couple that could potentially be engaged in two weeks time.  This is most likely due to the nature of the show, but they haven't had the time to discover what they should love about each other and what qualities each of them have that will keep them together in the long-run.  Their relationship is based mostly off of physical attractiveness, and so the highlight of their relationship was their first kiss and it hasn't gotten any better since.  If Emily and Arie are going to work, they have to begin to discover the traits and qualities each possess that matter and that will get better over time.  The quality they're investing in right now has a short shelf life, and when it's gone, on what foundation will they be able to stand?  

Jef
"Don't they look great together?
"When we were on the ferris wheel in London I never wanted to come down and when we were on the floor in Prague I never wanted to get up."

That was a great line from Jef.  I am continually impressed by him, and anyone who doubts that he's in the driver's seat right now is fooling themselves.  Arie needs to be taking some notes.  Jef's asking all the right questions, saying all the right things, and denying her the fantasy suite.  Suck on that, Emily!  That was a great move and I'm surprised no one else did the same (even though Arie didn't have a chance, there's no way he would have said no to the fantasy suite - he was built for that).  As opposed to Arie, I can picture Jef living the day-to-day life with Emily. For some reason it's so much more natural to picture them as a married couple, going through life with Emily's horde of kids she wants.  

Despite how well Jef is doing, I can't help but get the feeling that he's not as genuine as he seems and that he's very skilled at winning people over and making them believe he's a certain way.  At the same time, I realize that my opinion is biased because here in Utah Valley we hear rumors and stories from people who "knew" Jef or who "dated" him and who say that he's trouble.  However, in the end I can only judge Jef from what I've seen on the show, and what I've seen so far makes me think he's a good guy.  I have no right to judge the man because of the gossip I've heard, right?  So Jef, I'm sorry I've been judging you.  You don't deserve that. Go.  Take Emily's hand and lead her to salvation.  

Conclusion
As vain and shallow as the Bachelorette is, there are things we can learn from it and things we can decide to do in our lives because of what we have learned.

(1) We can decide to not judge others, but give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  Everyone has a good side, and if that's what we focus on that's what we'll see.  A wise man named Gordon B. Hinckley once said:
"When we look for the worst in anyone, we will find it.  But if we will concentrate on the best, that element will grow until it sparkles."
(2) In our relationships, we can decide to find and focus on the qualities that really matter.  We can choose to look on the heart, rather than on the outward appearance (1 Samuel 16:7).  It is those qualities that will matter in the long run.  

(3) And finally, we can decide to truly invest ourselves in our relationships.  We can take the emotional risk that is commitment and decide to love with all we are.  It can be a little scary and for some it can be downright terrifying.  But if we ever want to reach any level of deep intimacy, it's a step we all must take.  

9 comments:

  1. Craig. I'm totally jiving with you on all accounts. My heart aches for Sean. He was the best, although, yes there was some chemistry missing there. Jef will win I'm sure and that seems right over Arie. But I just wish Jef would grow up a little and figure his ish out before he took on a child. He expresses himself like an adult, but there is something very childish remaining in him. Perhaps it's the hair and the fact that he wore little boy shorts with a blazer to a rose ceremony. Not sure. My last opinion is Emily should NOT be getting engaged to anyone in two weeks. Think of Ricky. She hasn't even met these dudes. I think any engagement in these relationships is too premature. They need some like outside of fancy vacations before they can make this decision. Love the blog Craig! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe that the guy who wore shorts and high blue socks is in the finale?

      I also agree that she should not get engaged to anyone. Here's my prediction as to how it will play out: she will still choose someone. She'll choose Jef over Arie but she won't have Jef propose to her on the show like they normally do each season. She'll choose Jef and they'll just date. And then, naturally, they'll break up and everyone will be sad at the After the Final Rose show.

      Delete
  2. Loving the blog, Craig. Keep up the writing. It's whitty and honest, which I feel is rare these days.
    I have a blog and I'm looking for guest authors. Check it out and let me know if you think you'd have anything to share.
    twentysomethingandhappy.blogspot.com

    ps do you even remember me? Jessica Deal. BYU ward. I lived across the street from you. Once you guys thought I was peeping into your windows, but I wasn't :) promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, of course I remember who you are Jessica. And yes I remember you peeping into Jim's window. Can't say that I blame you though.

      Anyway, I read your blog - it's great, and I would love to write a post for the blog sometime. I'll write about whatever you want - I don't want to disappoint you if my writing is not as good as yours though (because it isn't).

      Delete
  3. This was an excellent synopsis of the current situation. However, my vote has always been and will be with Arie to the end because what is the show about if not hot people kissing hot people? I still like to think Arie has a really genuine dad side from when he talked about how much he bonded with his ex-girlfriend's kids. And yet we all know Sean would have treated Emily the best. And maybe without cameras their chemistry if better.
    I also like your subtle nod to Brene Brown in your key takeaway section. Being vulnerable does bring the greatest joy and the greatest pain.
    Also, per the first comment, I agree- it doesn't look like Emily is getting engaged in July. She can't decide. No one's popping the question - no previews of it! She's too emotional to decide. I think it would be kind of awesome if she called Sean and begged him to come back, but I don't think that happens because one of my friends spotted him at a taco shop in Dallas a few weeks ago and overheard him chatting about the show with his friend- apparently Emily is not quite as she is portrayed on screen- SHOCKER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have paid a lot of money to be a fly on the wall at that Taco Shop. What is she really like? Who knows?

      I told Andy in the first comment that my prediction is that no one will be getting engaged the final episode. I think she'll still choose Jef over Arie (although you make a good argument for Arie). But I don't think she'll want them to get engaged. They'll just finish the show "dating."

      Delete
  4. Dear Craig,
    Totally stoked you started a blog. This is hilarious, awesome and entertaining. Keep it up my friend. The world needs you.

    Heather (lol jims cousin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heather,

      You are too kind. Thank you for the comment. It is much appreciated.

      Craig

      Delete
  5. love it! we had such a fun time in cali with all ya'll. emily is a gem (your emily, that is). i want her to sing hide and seek for me again right NOW!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...